I know I should have been posting updates a bit more, but I was having a bit of a problem getting the cream nice and thick. Turns out, I’m not really good at following instructions 🙈
The ingredients I’m using differ slightly from the Formula Botanica ingredient list, because we can’t get them all here in New Zealand, and sometimes they go by a different name. So what I’m using
- neroli hydrosol
- sweet almond oil
- Emulgade pl 68/50, same as Vegetal, just a different name
- papaya extract instead of papaya glycerite – practically the same, just better quality
- sea buckthorn oil instead of sea buckthorn CO2 extract – it’s not quite the same in potency
- Geogard Ultra preservative instead of Geogard ECT – different but both work and both are natural
- tangerine essential oil, because I like it better than sweet orange essential oil
I purchased these ingredients from Pure Nature.
A little note about the preservatives. Geogard Ultra comes in powder form and requires heat to dissolve properly. That is why I added it to the hydrosol at the beginning. If you use a preservative in liquid form, like Microcare DB, you can add it at the end, at the same time when you are adding the extra ingredients.
Here’s the video of me making the cream. I hope you enjoy it! (And scroll further down for some tips I learned during my weekend of making)
The cream is absolutely divine! They were really not exaggerating when they were describing it to us. It smells delicious, and it feels even better. My skin feels really soft and nice, and I know it’s supposed to be a face cream, but I’ve been using it all over, because I just can’t stop trying it out. Making things is very addictive and so satisfying when it works!
Four things I found out and hope will help you:
- READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND FOLLOW THEM TO A T! Seriously. It’s not like cooking, a little bit more or less does make a difference!
- Make sure you heat the ingredients to AT LEAST 75 DEG C! If it doesn’t reach that temperature, it won’t emulsify properly when you mix them together, and you end up with a runny lotion or worse, it separates.
- Make sure you add ALL OF THE OIL/EMULSIFIER MIXTURE. If you don’t add it all, you have less oil and emulsifier in your cream, and you will also end up with a runny lotion.
- Stick blender – it really helps with the emulsifying and makes your cream really nice and thick. I did manage to get it sort of thick, when I followed steps one and two, but the stick blender really does make a difference. It’s also easier.
- But…. don’t start using your stick blender too soon or you’ll end up with a fluffy, airy cream (unless that’s what you want). Maybe give it a quick blitz with the stick blender, but then whisk until you add the extra ingredients, like the extract and essential oil, and only after mixing them in, use the stick blender to get the right consistency.
STICK BLENDER / HOMOGENISER / MIXER
The mini mixer I’m using in the video, I bought at AliExpress. I think it was about $20
But you can also buy a similar mini mixer here in NZ from Mighty Ape. They sell it under paint mixer tool, and is used by hobby painters, who need to mix tiny amounts of paint. It also costs $20, but you’ll get it quicker.
You can also use a stick blender, the one you use for cooking (or for soap making). The only problem you might have here is that it is too big to fit into your beaker, mug or jug. If you have the one from my soap making starter kit, it does fit (if only just) into the beaker. I used the stick blender this morning, before making the video and it definitely works.
Milk frothers also work. I just had someone message me they used a milk frother and it worked a treat for them. And I saw the picture they posted of their cream and it looks gorgeous! You can buy milk frothers from places like Stevens Home & Living, Look Sharp, and there are many other homeward places that sell them.
Seriously, it’s not hard to make a cream! Go, give it a try!
PS if you haven’t yet signed up for the free Masterclass and haven’t downloaded the formulation and free workbook, you need to be quick!
The Masterclass is only available until 5th October. Make sure you have watched all the episodes by then.